O Christmas Tree {and a story I learned today}

I had a date tonight.

A very, special date.  So I dressed in a red Christmas sweater (no, not one of those tacky ones with the built-in twinkling lights) 😀
(my apologies to anyone who wears Christmas sweaters with built-in Christmas lights).

I even put on makeup and brushed my hair.

After almost two weeks of sweatpants and tshirts and being covered in glitter – (can you believe I actually had a piece of glitter in my teeth where you would normally see some spinach or parsley. Glitter!) – it was nice to get out for a few hours.

It was not an ordinary date with wine and dinner and such.  (Although, that sounds very nice, too.  Hint, Hint to The Hubbs if he reads this.)

Rather, it was a date with this little Munchkin.

My grandson, Cole.  It was his 1st Grade Christmas Pageant.

I have it say it was one of the best I have ever seen.  The pageant had an actual story to it.  It revolved around Christmas trees, and a moral that “the largest, most glittery tree aren’t always the best trees.”

They children did an amazing job and it was a great way to spend a “date night.”

The lesson that those children sang about and taught us all, stayed with me on the drive home tonight.

“The largest, most glittery tree is not always the best tree.”

There are many, many things about blogging and reading blogs that are wonderful.  I won’t get into those, because that would take me a while.  :-)

But, as a Blogger – there is also a small degree of feeling inept and in some ways… “not as good.”

There are so many talented Bloggers showing beautiful homes and unimaginable projects – it gets a bit overwhelming.  You even wonder at times why you are blogging and if all the effort is even worth it.

But, two things happened today that reminded me that yes, it is worth it.

First, I get an email from a total stranger thanking me for all of my efforts. She shared with me that she had had a rough year – a sickness and several surgeries. She also said she was unable to do a lot of decorating this year, but she was able to recreate my Mini Snow Village Under Glass, and it made her smile every time she looked at it.

Second, my 3-year old Grandlove, Roo, told me that “Santa was gonna love my lights and give us lots of candy corns.”  (he insists they are corns, not canes)  :-)

An email from a stranger.  A comment from a child.  And that is all it takes to put things back into perspective.

So even though there is glitter and cedar and candles and white lights galore around
The Everyday Home

– there is also Love.  Love put into every small tree I potted in galvanized tubs and white pitchers.  Love put inside each stocking I hung on the mantel.  Love in the glittered initials – one for each of us.   Love of Christmas…

And while my home will probably never get a starring role in any large publication, and I will never get interviewed by Oprah… haha

That’s ok.  Because “the largest, most glittery trees are not always the best trees.”  :)

In case you’re wondering, I used three styles of stickers to create my “Joy to the World” platter.  Stickers!  Love them.  :)

And speaking of Christmas Love…

Miss C had her first official modeling job last weekend.  Please forgive me if I show off Grammy’s little “Christmas Package.”
Watch out, Cindy Crawford.

And while were there, we snuck in the boys, too…

This will make you smile…

Here’s hoping that even if your tree is not the brightest, the biggest and the most glittery – it is all that and more in the eyes of those that really matter.

xxoo

Sharing with:
Heather/Vanessa @ at the picket fence for Inspiration Friday
Shanoon at Fox Hollow Cottage
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspirations
Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Holiday Vignette Party

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Best post I have read all week my dear friend..Girl I love that grand girl..those sweet cheeks are so cute..Cole has gotten so big I remember when he was living with you and how little he was at that time..Great looking grand loves..Hugs and love Gloria
    ps want a good lol!! come check out my blog

2. says

I can believe the glitter in the teeth. I’m always finding strands of string on my pants, shirts and skirts (from sewing).

And, I love pageants with little kids…too cute. Plus, you have the most ahhhh….dorable elfs decorating for you. Those smiles are more brilliant and special than any tinsel you could buy.

And what a cool thing to make someone else smile with your mini-village.

3. says

I can’t believe that you are a grandmother! You are much too young looking. Your grandkids are beautiful. I especially got a kick out of seeing the little girl in the buff! LOL I liked the lesson you learned (the story you shared). I think we’ve all felt that way at one time or another and it’s always nice to know that we are touching someone’s lives in a positive way even when we don’t know it.

4. says

I OFTEN feel like you, that somehow I don’t “measure up” as a blogger. But posts like this keep me going. Your grands are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! I love the babies shots and the boys are super cute!!! Thanks for sharing this. XO, pinky

5. says

Your Grands are absolutely beautiful. Your display is also beautiful, and I’ve got one of those big trees and it certainly doesn’t sparkly like the beautiful smaller ones in blog land.

Bliss

6. says

Aw, Barb. What a wonderful post. Love the sentiment, and I want to reiterate that what you’re doing as a blogger is worthwhile and worth it. And I think we all struggle with those doubts of not being “good enough.”

But you do know you’re fab, right?

7. Anonymous says

Barb, your blog is one of my favorites — I am not a blogger but love to read blogs. I laughed out loud when I read about the glitter in your teeth — lately I’ve had a speck or two on my face or neck. Your decorating is inspirational to me. Your grandchildren are precious — they will have memories of your beautifully decorated house.

8. says

Beautiful post, and so are your decorations! I know you had a wonderful time with your grandson. Nights like those are so much fun and very memorable. And all of your grandchildren are just adorable!

9. Julia G says

Your pictures are always great and not washed-out. Love the vivid colors! And your home is so beautiful! Your grandchildren are absolutely adorable. I love your blog and I want to thank you for making it so readable. The type is larger and so easy to read. I love the fact that you don’t have tiny pale gray type on a pale blue or pink background, like so many other bloggers are using right now.
    Keep up the wonderful work and don’t change a thing! You’re fantastic!

10. says

What a beautiful post, Barb! And, I beg to differ about your home not being in a publication … it will one day … you just watch! Your Christmas decor is absolutely beautiful! I love your trees placed in your cups and bowls … the lush garland … and the words you added to your platter. You are a fabulous decorator who inspires many, including me! And, what precious grands you have! Happy Holidays, sweet friend.

11. says

Very well said, Barb. It IS easy to be captivated by the beautiful pictures of other bloggers, but I have had more fun this year making my home beautiful, Little and old it may be, it still makes me happy despite all the things that are falling apart! You’re right, little things make us happy!
    Marty

12. says

Hi Barb,

I don’t get to comment and visit my blog friends as much as I’d like but I had to check out this post. What a wonderful story, as usual. I was also curious to see how your kitchen hutch turned out after you painted it. What ever you used, it turned out beautiful. I hope your world is treating you well. Stay well and let’s talk soon.
    Barbara

13. says

Thank you for this wonderful post. I have stopped blogging because I feel like I’m not good enough -not that my blog was read by hundreds much less thousands. However, when you read “those” blogs you feel inferior. Thanks for reminding me that I don’t have to have the biggest, most read blog to still touch someone. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! (Oh, I found your blog through At the Picket Fence, but you have a new follower.)